Production Apprenticeship 2021
Start Date: May 1, 2021
Closing Date: Jul 31, 2020
Working alongside the production team at our Cobbs Lane Factory, you will learn the footwear production process from start to finish. After successful completion, you’ll get a government accredited qualification in Footwear Manufacturing and be offered a full-time position within the factory team.
You will learn:
- The history of footwear and the Dr. Martens brand
- Health and Safety practices
- Working relationships within the team, code of conduct and communication methods
- Upper shoe production: foot measurement, size scales and comparison, last types, functions and features, design, pattern cutting, clicking and closing
- Quality: about company standards, methods of improvement and monitoring systems
At the end of the programme you will be qualified to work as a Footwear Operative in our factory specialising in either of the below:
Clicking: learning how to operate the cutting presses to specified quality standards and creating the least amount of wastage of skins
Closing: You will learn how to use various sewing machines to complete a Dr. Martens upper, along with puritan and putting in eyelets
Lasting: Learn the process of shaping the shoe around a last and how we attach the sole to our famous yellow stitched welt. Toe lasting, back part moulding, upper trimming side lasting, inseam trimming, welt sewing, heat sealing, edge trimming and last slipping
Shoe room: this is where the last quality touches are added, and where all footwear is cleaned and boxed ready for dispatch.
Working for Dr.Martens is everything you’d expect it to be. We’re a diverse, passionate bunch who believe each role is as unique as the person who does it.
To be our Footwear Manufacturing Apprentice you will also possess these qualities:
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to communicate with other colleagues and management
- English and Maths at Level 3/4 GCSE (equivalent to Grade C) or above
- An eagerness to learn, work with your hands and a passion for the Dr. Martens brand